TTI Summer Roasted Asparagus & Pea Salad
I have a brand new summer salad recipe for you to try – Roasted asparagus and pea salad. It’s utterly delicious and requires minimum time in the kitchen.
I recently returned from a short but sweet trip from my beloved Puglia. Every time I return to the UK after spending time eating the local cuisine, which is usually brimming with brightly coloured vegetables and freshly caught fish/seafood, I come back so inspired. I’m overwhelmed with the urgency to start cooking in my kitchen as quickly as possible. It’s this un-rational fear that I have that all new food knowledge will disappear if not put into practice immediately. It’s silly, but it works. It’s the kick up the arse that I sometimes need.
Not necessarily influenced by Puglian cooking, this recipe is all about simplicity. The emphasis is to use only a handful of ingredients that complement each other on your taste buds. Plus, seasonality is so essential. Flavour is always at the forefront of their recipes; choosing ingredients at their prime is a vital part of that.
Right now, asparagus is in season, and I can’t get enough of it. Though it does, unfortunately, make your pee smell funny. It never fails to make me chuckle.
This salad is perfect for eating in the summer as not only does it use seasonal ingredients; it involves minimal cooking. I know that when the weather is hot outside, I want to spend as little time in a warm kitchen. This recipe ticks that box. Plus, it’s effortless to put together. Please, also feel free to add any other of your fave green veg to pimp it up to your liking. I won’t take any offence, promise.
Summer Asparagus & Pea salad (2 people)
- 1 large slice of sourdough bread or small ciabatta
- 125g Asparagus tips
- 200g tinned or frozen peas
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Summer asparagus & Pea salad (2 people)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c. Bring a pan of water to the boil.
- First, make the lemon vinaigrette. Combine the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and spring onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, tear the sourdough slice or ciabatta into rough chunks. Place on a baking tray with the asparagus. Toss them in extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, until the croutons are golden and the is asparagus cooked and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the eggs in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes, then add the peas and cook for 1 min more. Drain and rinse both under cold water until cool. Peel the eggs, then cut into quarters.
- To compile the salad, mix the asparagus and peas. Pour over the lemon dressing and toss together. Finally, place the eggs and croutons on top and serve.