On my last trip to Puglia, after heavy feasting over Christmas and new years, my Italian best friend, Valentina, decided that it was probably time to have a detox day. I instantly shuddered at the thought, as I don’t travel to Italy to detox. Do you know what I mean?? haha. However, she convinced me that I would love it and that I did.
This Italian vegetable soup is filled with so much goodness including ginger and cinnamon which aren’t typically ‘Italian’, however have amazing cleansing qualities such as anti-flammatory and help digestion. I have now been converted. It was incredibly delicious, extremely simple to make and I felt amazing after eating it.
I have served it with pasta. But you could serve it with cooked rice or if you wanted something extra light you could have it on its own.
Total time: 45 minutes
Italian Detox Vegetable soup (2-3 serving)
- Rosemary, 1 sprig
- 1/2 onion, quartered
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small carrot, diced
- Handful of celery leaves/or 1 stalk finely chopped
- 1/2 potato, large diced
- Fresh ginger, 1 cm, peeled
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5l cold water
- 2 tsp Bouillon
- 150g baby Pasta
- 20g parmesan, grated
Detox Italian vegetable soup
- Add all the vegetables and rosemary into a sauce pan
- Grate the ginger and add to the vegetables. Sprinkle in the cinnamon
- Drizzle with olive oil and pour in the cold water
- Bring the broth to the boil. Add the bouillon (or vegetable stock). Turn the the heat down and simmer for about 30 minutes. The vegetables should be softened.
- Then, blitz the vegetables in the broth with a hand blender.
- Taste and season with salt if needed. Add the pasta and cook as instructed on the packet.
- Serve the soup immeditely with parmesan (optional).