Sausage Tomato Lentil Stew
One of my favourite tv programmes is back on the BBC; ‘Unpacked Italy’ with Giorgio Locatelli & Andrew Graham-Dixon. Love this show; love these twos enthusiasm for their two greatest passions. Love how Giorgio got excited about making this simple ‘peasant’ stew with food from the lands. Unfortunately my ingredients all came out of Waitrose and unfortunately Peckham doesn’t have the mountainous scenery but still thought it was delish! Here is the recipe for Sausage Tomato Lentil Stew
1 small carrot, chopped
2 onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
250g dry Lentils, (merchant gourmet)
750ml vegetable stock
Salt & Pepper
- In a saucepan, fry 1 chopped onion, carrot & celery in olive oil until the veggies are cooked
- Add in the lentils, stir with a wooden spoon and pour in the stock & season with salt. Cook the lentils for 30 minutes on a medium heat.
- While you wait for the lentils to cook, fry the sausages in a wide pan in a little olive oil & herbs (the sausages already contain fat so you literally need a little splash). Cook on a medium to high heat & keep the sausages turning until browned.
- Remove the browned sausages from the pan, and add the other chopped onion. Cook until they are golden.
- Add the Passata & cook until it is warmed through.
- When the sauce starts to bubble add back in the sausages. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked, add to the tomato & sausages. Mix well.
- Serve up
I’m currently watching the series, which is being repeated on BBC Two this week, in the afternoons, followed by a BBC Earth programme – a perfect afternoons viewing in my books.
Anyways, after seeing Giorgio cook this recipe I Goggled “Giorgio Locatelli Lentil & Sausages recipe” & hew presto, your blog appeared as the top result.
Well done for making it up so high on the results… even above the BBC Food website results, and thank you for taking the time and trouble to blog about it, along with Girogio’s other recipes from the series. It’s one of my favourite series the Beeb has ever done. I just wish they’d do more using the same premise.
I have a long list of ‘bucket list’ places to visit & this series added many, many new places to my list.
The Tiny ItalianMichael P
Thank you Michael for your lovely review. I’m so glad that you enjoyed the post. Like you it’s one of my fave bbc shows ever. I think even my fave food show. I’ve watched them all so many times. I’m currently on a trip round Italy getting inspired for future posts. I hope you will enjoy those too. P x
Hi what type of lentils do you use please theylook like split peas?
The Tiny ItalianChristine Discombe
Hi Christine. I used ‘merchant gourmet’ pre soaked dry puy lentils
Love the programme. As soon as I saw this made today, I was compelled to cook it, which I did. I made it with very low fat chicken sausages, which were really tasty. I found the tomato sauce too sharp so added a dollop of creme frais which was delicious. All in all very tasty.
Fabulous, thank you Paola! I love ‘Italy Unpacked’ too and was just looking for this particular recipe when – thank you for sharing it on your blog. Will cook it for lunch.
The Tiny ItalianElla Jakobson
No worries Ella. I love that recipe too. Happy cooking!