One of my favourite tv programmes is back on the BBC; ‘Unpacked Italy’ with Giorgio Locatelli & Andrew Graham-Dixon. Love this show; love these twos enthusiasm for their two greatest passions. Love how Giorgio got excited about making this simple ‘peasant’ stew with food from the lands. Unfortunately my ingredients all came out of Waitrose and unfortunately Peckham doesn’t have the mountainous scenery but still thought it was delish! Here is the recipe for Sausage Tomato Lentil Stew Ingredients 6 sausages 1 small carrot, chopped 2 onion, chopped 1 celery stick, chopped Sage Rosemary 250g dry Lentils, (merchant gourmet) 500ml Passata 750ml vegetable stock Olive oil Salt & Pepper
- In a saucepan, fry 1 chopped onion, carrot & celery in olive oil until the veggies are cooked
- Add in the lentils, stir with a wooden spoon and pour in the stock & season with salt. Cook the lentils for 30 minutes on a medium heat.
- While you wait for the lentils to cook, fry the sausages in a wide pan in a little olive oil & herbs, (the sausages already contain fat so you literally need a little splash). Cook on a medium to high heat & keep the sausages turning until browned.
- Remove the browned sausages from the pan, and add the other chopped onion. Cook until they are golden.
- Add the Passata & cook until it is warmed through.
- When the sauce starts to bubble add back in the sausages. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked, add to the tomato & sausages. Mix well.
- Serve up
The Ultimate Italian Self Care Shopping Guide
This guide includes all of the essentials you need to cook yourself easy, feel-good and healthy Italian-inspired meals….