With summer ending, and colder days approaching I have started to push cold dinners and salads to one side. It’s time to start to embrace the warmth and hibernate.
I love those little tortellini or capelletti filled with prosciutto & Parmesan. The hand made kind are just so delicate & beautiful to look at. Tortellini are also just heavenly on the palate with the fusion of Parmesan & prosciutto crudo (Parma ham). However, the dry, pre-packaged kind doesn’t offend me at all. You can pick them at all all good Italian delicatessens and as long as you have a supply in your kitchen cupboard, you’ll be able to enjoy these little parcels of heaven whenever you want.
I have cooked these dry tortellini in various dishes, but my favourite is in a clear broth or in minestrone with loads of veggies, perfect for those chilly nights. Here is my quick cheat minestrone with these little parcels of heaven.
250g dry tortellini, prosciutto & Parmesan
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 courgette, sliced
10 pomodorini or cherry tomatoes, halved
1,5 litres Vegetable stock
Parmesan, (optional to serve)
- Drzzle Olive oil in a deep pan at a medium heat, add all the vegetables (apart from the tomatoes), season with salt, cover and cook until all the vegetables have softened.
- Then add the tomatoes & cook for another 5-10 minutes until they have softened a little.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, cover and turn down the heat; allow to simmer for at least 40 mins to and hour. (Taste the broth while cooking and ensure it is flavoursome & add seasoning if necessary).
- Then add the dry tortellini and cook for as long as stated on the packet.
- Serve in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle Parmesan.