Italian steak with a cherry tomato, olive and caper salsa
WELCOME to the third recipe, created for you as part of the new TTI recipe series It’s a four-course dinner which feeds four people for ONLY £20.
The idea behind this series is to inspire others to host and cook for friends regularly if you don’t already, or to do it more often. What’s so fantastic about these recipes are that they are EASY, QUICK and SIMPLE, allowing you to host and spend more time with your friends rather than getting cooped up in the kitchen. And, of course, embraces the Mediterranean flavours of southern Italy that I love.
Next on the menu, is the main course. Pan-fried Italian steak with a cherry tomato, olive and caper salsa. In Italy, meat or fish champion many a main course so here is a fantastic, colourful delicious steak dish which will brighten any dinner party. It takes 10 minutes to make and can be quickly made in between courses. All you need to do beforehand is to prepare your ingredients in advance. I absolutely love this dish and what I love is that you place it on the table on one large serving dish and everyone interacts and gets stuck in. As in theme with the menu, all ingredients are inspired by the Mediterranean, bringing gorgeous Italian sunny flavours to your dinner party.
Total cost for 4 people: £7.16
Pan-fried Italian steak with a cherry tomato, olive and caper salsa
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Flank/sizzler beef steak fillets
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 anchovies
- 1 fresh red chilli, finelt diced
- Dry oregano
- 335g cherry tomatoes
- 80g black olives
- 60g capers
- 1 small glass of white wine
- Fresh parsley, handful, roughly chopped
- 30g Rocket
- 1 Lemon, juice
- First, make sure you bring the steaks out of the fridge at least 30 mins before cooking to bring it to room temperature. This helps the steak to cook evenly.
- HEAT a large frying pan. Lightly DRIZZLE with olive oil. Make sure the pan is HOT before adding the steaks. COOK for 1 minute on each side (medium/rare).
- REST the steaks on tin foil placed on a warm plate. SEASON on both sides with salt and pepper. While the meat is resting, it will release its juices and you want to keep that for the next part of the recipe.
- ADD a little more olive oil to the same pan (there is no need to wash it). Next, ADD the garlic, anchovies, chill, with a sprinkle of oregano into the frying pan. COOK on low heat.
- After a minute, ADD the cherry tomatoes, olives and capers. POUR in the white wine and the juice from the rested steaks. COOK for 5 minutes or until tomatoes have softened.
- In the meantime, DRESS the rocket leaves with a quarter of the lemon juice and a tablespoon of EVO. Season with salt. Then, SLICE the steak into strips and place on a warm plate. Then DRESS on top with the tomato, olive and caper salsa.
- DRESS with more lemon juice on top and parsley. SERVE immediately.