Nonna Gina’s Summer Italian Potato Salad
Nonna’s Summer Potato salad is one of those dishes that I remember my Nonna tossing together many a time during the summer in Italy and I just love it. It’s a dish that we have continued to make here in the UK to keep her spirit alive, plus it’s utterly delicious.
So, when Filippo Berio asked for a summer recipe, I knew that this would perfectly fit with their brief and some. An inexpensive simple recipe that makes it accessible to many and perfect for bbq, picnics and generally any type of garden party. The ingredients simply emphasise the best of Mediterranean including sweet peppers, juicy tomatoes and salty olive. Bring a little of my Nonna Gina’s cooking into your life.
Ingredients (serves 4)
750g Baby salad potatoes
2 peppers (1 red, 1 yellow)
1 red onion
300g cherry tomatoes or pomodorini
2 celery stalks and celery leaves
8 basil leaves
100ml Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- First, place your whole potatoes into a large pan filled with cold water and season with salt. Bring to the boil and then cover with a lid. Simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prep your peppers. Remove the top and the core and cut into quarters. Place them flat onto a baking tray, skin side up. Place under a hot grill until the skin has blackened and blistered. This should take about 8-10 minutes. Remove from under the grill and place in a bowl. Cover with clingfilm and set to one side, while you prep the rest of your ingredients.
- Slice the onion in half and slice thinly into half-moons.
- Slice the celery thinly
- Halve/quarter the tomatoes.
- Remove the clingfilm from the top of the bowl with the peppers. Peel off the skin and slice the peppers thinly, 1cm thick.
- When the potatoes have finished cooking, drain and place in a large colander. Let them cool down for about 10-15 minutes. Then, pierce the potato skin with a knife and peel. Then slice the potatoes 1cm thick.
- Place all prepped ingredients into a large salad bowl. Tear and add the basil and celery leaves. Drizzle with Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then carefully mix all the ingredients together.