I’m still obsessing over Northern Italian food, Piedmontese to be exact. Still not a tomato insight! This is one for you OFFAL LOVERS out there.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
400g Chicken livers, chunks
100g Pancetta, cubed
Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
50g Cavolo Nero, thickly sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 tsp Thyme, dry
5 tbsp Dry Marsala
500ml light stock
1 handful Pecorino Romano, grated
Salt & Pepper
- Switch the grill on to high.
- In a pan, add the stock & bring to the boil; turn down the heat to a medium heat & sprinkle in the polenta.
- Stir the polenta in and with a wooden spoon, stir continuously until the polenta is cooked & Hola a creamy consistency. Express/pre-cooked polenta should only take 8-12 minutes.
- Pour the polenta flat and spread evenly into a buttered baking tray and place under the grill. Cook until golden; approx 20-25 minutes
- While the polenta is in the grill, start on the chicken livers.
- Fry the onion & garlic in butter and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the pancetta,Cavolo Nero and mushrooms and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken liver and cook until browned. This should not take more than another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the Marsala, turn the heat up slightly & finish cooking the chicken livers for another 5 minutes. Ensure you don’t over cook the liver. It still needs to be slightly pink in the middle.
- By now the polenta should be ready, so remove from the grill. Slice a piece, place a portion on a plate and serve the chicken liver on top.
Buon appetito you meatballs!