One of my all time favourite dishes is a steak and chips. It’s my go to ‘treat’ meal when I want to celebrate or a dish that I love to share that exudes love. However, I wanted to create a version that highlighted my favourite Mediterranean ingredients. This Italian steak and chips has the meat dressed with sweet cherry tomatoes, juicy black olives and salty capers – a beautiful flavour combination. On the side, served with rustic hand made herby chips. On top of that, this dish only takes 30 minutes. So what you waiting for. Think of someone you love and get them over for the perfect steak sharing dinner.
TTI Italian Steak and Chips (2 people)
- 2 /3 potatoes
- Dry thyme
- Dry rosemary
- Red onion, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- 2 frying steaks
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 anchovies
- Dry chilli flakes
- Dry Oregano
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 15 black olives
- 1 tbsp capers
- 100ml white wine
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
TTI Italian steak and chips
- Pre heat the oven to 210C
- First, let’s prep the chips. Peel and slice the potato in to hand cut chips.
- Place the chips in a baking tray; add the chopped red onion and sprinkle of dry rosemary and thyme. Drizzle generously olive oil on top and ensure chips are well coated. Season with salt. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Steaks next. Start cooking them 10 minutes before chips have finished cooking. Heat a large frying pan. Lightly drizzle olive oil. Make sure the pan is warm before adding the steaks. Cook for 1 minute on each side (medium/rare).
- Rest the steaks on some tin foil on a warm plate. You will want to collect the juices so that we can add it to our steak topping.
- Next, add the garlic, anchovies, chilli and a sprinkle of oregano into the frying pan (no need to wash it).
- After a minute, add the cherry tomatoes, olives and capers. Add the white wine and the juice from the rested steaks. Cook for 5-8 minutes until tomatoes have softened.
- In the meantime, slice the steak into strips and place on a warm plate. Then dress the steaks with the tomato, olive and caper sauce. Serve with the herby chips.