When it comes to home cooking, it’s all about those lighter, quick, simple dinners, throughout Monday to Friday. As many of you know, life and work can get hectic during the working week so I prefer to eat meals that will fit around and support what my mind and body needs. However, when it comes to the weekend, it’s a totally different agenda. I’m a massive fan of treating yourself, celebrating life and wins from the past week. That includes enjoying a delicious hearty meal where you have the time to enjoy a little food coma after. Love those. Anyways, this recipe of CHICKEN ALLA CACCIATORE with olive mash just fits that description. Inspired by a roman classic dish that I enjoyed on my Italian food tour last year. Very simple and straight forward recipe but just needs a little time and patience but as all Tiny Italian recipes, very much worth the wait.
Chicken alla cacciatore with Olive mash (4 people)
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, whole, unpeeled and crushed
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 700g chicken thighs
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 5 sage leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 100ml white wine
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tin of peeled tomatoes
- 1.5kg potatoes, peeled and cut in same size pieces
- 25g butter
- 125ml milk
- 80g black pitted olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea Salt
- Ground black pepper
Chicken alla cacciatore with Olive mash
- First, FLAVOUR the olive oil by softly frying it with the garlic and rosemary sprig for about 5 minutes. REMOVE and set aside.
- Next, SEASON the chicken all over with salt and pepper. BROWN the chicken, skin side first in the same pan on a low heat until browned and fat is rendered. Then turn over and brown the other side. This should take about 10 – 12 minutes. REMOVE the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- ADD the garlic and rosemary back in the pan. In addition, ADD the onion, carrot, celery, sage and bay leaf. COMBINE all the ingredients together and fry on a low heat until the vegetables have softened.
- ADD the chicken back into the pan and POUR the wine and red wine vinegar. Turn the heat up and cook for a few minutes.
- Finally, ADD the peeled tomatoes with half a can of water to loosen up the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Bring it to boil, simmer and cover the pan with a lid. Cook on a low heat for about 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, COOL the potatoes in salted boiling water until softened. While warm, put them through a potato ricer to make it light and fluffy.
- HEAT the milk and butter together. ADD and MIX with the potato ensure there are no lumps and has a creamy consistency . ADD and COMBINE with the chopped olives and parsley. SEASON with salt and pepper
- SERVE the chicken with a side of olive mash potato and sauteed green vegetable. Ensure to drizzle the sauce ontop of the