Barolo red wine, borlotti beans& veal risotto
I have cooked a many risotto, and have always added a good splash of white wine to give it some flavour. However, across my Piedmontese recipe research, I came across a version of this recipe that involved using Barolo red wine (made in Piedmont) as well as stock to cook the risotto. My dish is a take on a recipe by Valentina Harris but just takes only 30 mins to cook rather than a few hours.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
250g Veal, chopped
1 tin of Borlotti beans,
300ml red wine i.e Barolo
25g unsalted butter
Salt & Pepper
- Add the butter to a wide pan, and fry the onion, celery & carrot until soft. This should take about 10 mins
- Add the veal and approx. 50ml of the wine. Cook until evaporated. Then add the Borlotti beans. Season well with Salt & Pepper. Stir.
- Add the rice; mix with the veal mixture.
- Pour a little of the stock and stir the risotto mix continuously until the stock has evaporated. Then add a little of the wine and do the same. Alternate with the stock & wine until the risotto is cooked.
- Finally add the Parmesan and stir through the mixture.
- Serve with more Parmesan if wish