I’m on a mission to find exciting southern Italian Pasta dishes. This was tried, tested and loved by carnivores and veggie lovers alike.
Ingredients 6 people (starter) 4 people (main)
2 large aubergines
1 garlic clove
Handful of chopped fresh basil
100g Grated Parmesan
500ml Tomato sauce (fresh homeade kind, not ketchup)
Salt & Pepper
- Pre-heat oven at 200C
- Halve the aubergine, pierce with a fork several times and roast for 30-40 minutes until cooked through.
- Peel the aubergines
- In a food processor, add the aubergine pulp with the garlic and basil
- Mix in the ricotta, 3/4 of the grated Parmesan and a ladle of tomato sauce. Season with Salt and Pepper
Tiny Italian Hint: Add some Provolone cheese to the mixture to give it a slightly richer flavour
- Pre-cook the cannelloni (if needed) and fill with the aubergine & ricotta mixture.
- Cover the base of the oven dish with the tomatoe sauce
- Place the stuffed cannelloni close together into the oven dish and cover with the remainder of the tomato sauce and sprinkle the top with the rest of the Parmesan
- Bake in the oven at 200c for 15-20 minutes