There is a six week countdown until both of my best friends get married. Literally a week apart from each other. I’ll be flying to Puglia for 5 days for Valentina’s ‘Matrimonio’ with Leo. Then I’ll be flying back to the UK for Marie’ & Steve’s wedding in West Wales. It will be the most amazing two weeks and I literally can’t wait. However, lets say I may have been slightly optimistic when I bought both wedding outfits a little while back. Buying them both a size smaller, I thought it would give me the incentive I needed to lose a little ‘puppy fat’. However, both weddings are now only 6 weeks away and I have a little way to go to fit into them properly. However, I don’t give up easily. Inspired by my recent trip to Salento, Puglia in Italy, I have been trying to create delicious dinners that will help me get to my ‘ideal size’ without starving myself from the type of cooking I love. Alongside some good old fashion exercise, I’m hoping I will get into my new Moschino suit, finger crossed. Here, I present to you Tuna Stemperata – a Sicilian inspired recipe; a sauce made up of tomatoes, capers and olives. Serve with a green salad and I promise you won’t regret it.
Ingredients - 2 people
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Pinch of dry rosemary
- 270g cherry tomatoes
- 75ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp capers
- 80g pitted green olives, chopped
- Pinch of dry oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt & pepper
- 2 fillets of fresh tuna
- Drizzle some olive oil in a pan, add the red onion and cook slowly till softened.
- Add the garlic, rosemary and chilli flakes. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook for 1 minute
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook on a medium heat for a few minutes until the tomatoes start to soften.
- Pour in the red wine vinegar and cook until nearly evaporated
- Add the capers, olives, oregano and sugar.
- Stir with a wooden spoon and cook for 5-10 minutes
- In the meantime, lightly coat the tuna steaks with olive oil. Pan fry the tuna on a griddle/frying pan for a couple of minutes each side.
- When tuna is cooked, serve on a plate with the stemperata sauce on top.