I’m always on the look out for inspiration to create the ultimate pasta party dish and not that long ago I found an excellent recipe. I’m a fan of recipes that only use a handful of ingredients but combined together, just create a culinary bliss. Those types of that dishes that give you a feeling of such heightened food ecstasy, that when you walk away from your meal, you leave with a little creepy smile of food pleasure. I found one of those dishes from you. The ultimate roasted tomato pasta bake which literally consists of 90% tomatoes and pasta with a handful of other additions to complete this marvellous dish.
- 20 medium size vine tomatoes
- 50g fine breadcrumbs
- 80g grated parmesan
- Handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 x tin peeled tomatoes (san marzano preferably)
- Oregano, chopped (use dried as alternative)
- Fresh Basil, chopped (use dry as alternative)
- 250g Rigatoni or Paccheri pasta. Large tubes preferably.
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 220c
- Halve all of the tomatoes. Place in a large tray and season with salt.
- Place half of the tomatoes facing up in a well oiled baking tray.
- Create a mix with the breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley. Sprinkle half of the the mix on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove
- In the meantime, place a saucepan of water to boil for the pasta.
- While that is boiling, lets make a start on the sauce. In a large deep frying pan, heat up a drizzle of olive oil. Add both whole cloves of garlic and allow them to brown all over. This flavours the oil. Remove the cloves.
- Add the tin of peeled tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Add chopped oregano and basil. Cook on a low simmer for 30 minutes
- When the water is boiling, season generously with salt and cook pasta al dente as instructed on packet.
- Drain pasta and add to the tomato sauce.
- Mix in a large tablespoon of the breadcrumb mix into the pasta and sauce.
- Layer the pasta on top of the roasted tomatoes.
- Place the remaining halved tomatoes on top of the pasta. Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumb parmesan mix. Drizzle olive oil on top
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately while its lovely and hot out of the oven.