It’s been Italian pie week and coincidentally, my work colleagues and myself were cooking food to sell at the office to raise money for ‘Cook for Syria‘. So I decided to cook a pie for my colleagues, while at the same time raising money for a great cause. Here is the recipe for this delicious Butternut squash, leek and sausage pie. It lasted five minutes on the plate. You can say it was definitely a success.
Ingredients (4-6 people)
400g shortcrust pastry (pre-rolled)
600g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks.
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp dry marjoram
1 tsp dry sage
1 leek, thinly sliced
300g Italian sausagemeat
100ml double cream
4 tbsp Parmesan, grated
Salt & Pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 165c
- Spread the butternut squash on a baking tray. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle the marjoram, sage and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until softened.
- In a pan, fry the sliced leeks into olive oil; cook until soften and ensure they do not brown.
- Then add the sausage meat and cook with the leeks until it is cook through. Take off the heat and allow to cool down.
- To make the cheesy sauce, mix the egg, parmesan and double cream, season with salt and pepper. Whisk ingredients well together.
- Roll out the short crust pastry and line a buttered pie tin.
- Arrange the butternut squash and sausage meat in the pie tin and pour the cheesy cream evenly on top.
- Bake in the oven at 180c for 30-40 minutes until golden brown