This dish, baked herb crumb cod, lentils and peppers, is inspired by a Puglian recipe I came across in one of my many cookbooks. Original ‘cucina povera’ (poor mans) recipes are unbelievably beautiful but can also demand spending a lot of time in the kitchen. The world we live in now is a very different place and time is so precious as we try to juggle work, family, freinds etc.
So true to The Tiny Italian ethos, my interpretation is a 15 minutes meal which can fit into any lifestyle. We all have 15 minutes for ourselves right? And what best way to spend those 15 minutes than in the kitchen. This herb crust cod, lentils and pepper dish brings the beautiful Puglian flavour into your kitchen without any stress so go and give it ago.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Baked Herb Crumb Cod, lentils and peppers (2 people)
- 2 cod fillets
- 30g fine breadcrumbs
- Fresh parsley, handful, finely chopped
- Dry oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes/pomodorini, quartered
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 small sweet peppers, thinly slices
- 1 tin of Italian pre-cooked lentils
HERB CRUmb COD, LENTILS AND PEPPERS
- Pre-heat the oven for 200C
- First, make the herb crumb by mixing the breadcrumbs, parsley and oregano and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place the cod on an oiled baking tray and season with salt and pepper
- Coat the cod fillets with the herb crumb, place fresh tomato and half the chopped garlic on top. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- In the mean time, fry the sweet pepper in olive oil until softened
- Cook the lentils in olive oil and garlic on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Plate the cod on top of the lentils and serve with the fried pepper