I absolutely love meatballs and I don’t know many meat lovers that can resist a lovely plate of ‘spaghetti e polpettoni’. I believe that this dish can satisfy many emotions; feeling of satisfaction (with a full belly) after eating a good plate of comfort food, it can set the mood for romance (just look at Lady & the Tramp) and more importantly, if cooked the original Italian Nonna’s way, you will believe for just one moment, that you are eating the best plate of food in the world.
This is my version of this iconic dish
Ingredients 6 people
1kg Dry Spaghetti
For the meatballs:
750g mixed minced meat. (I use 250g of lean beef mince, 500g sausage meat)
For the sauce:
1 large carrot
2 celery sticks
1 small fennel bulb.
500g Dry Spaghetti
- In food processor, finely chop the carrot, celery & fennel Bulb.
- In a large frying pan add a little olive oil, and sweat down the veg.
- In the meantime, add all the ingredients for the meatballs (meat, eggs, grated cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, salt & pepper) into a bowl and rub all the ingredients together.
- Then, take a little bit of the meat mixture at a time and make little round meatballs.
- Then add them to the frying pan, with the veg and lightly brown them.
- Then add the peeled tomatoes, chopped garlic, basil, (a little of chilli flakes is a great addition). Turn down the heat and let the meatballs and tomatoe sauce simmer for at least an hour, (the longer the better, to get a better fusion of flavours).
- When ready to eat, boil the water and cook the spaghetti (as instructed on the packet)
- Serve spaghetti and meatballs, sprinkle some Parmesan. Eat and smile.