Many people who know me well, know that i have more of a cheese tooth rather than a sweet tooth and have never bigged up my dessert skills….cos frankly i don’t think I have any.
However, my tiny Italian friend Valentina is the sweet tooth queen and has made me this dish a couple of time. I had my Xmas bake off and was planning to make something savoury but that did not go to plan. So in 1 1/2 hours, I managed to bake this delicious dish and not a crumb was left :-).
Ingredients: 8-10 portions
150g Plain Flour
80g Butter (cold)
60g Caster Sugar
Pinch of salt
For the filling:
400g of Nutella
2 tablespoons of Sugar
1 egg yolk
- To make the pastry, add the flour and butter (cubed) into a bowl. With you fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it looks like a crumble.
- Then add, the sugar, egg, salt and a few drops of vanilla essence. Mix with the flour and butter, delicately and fast.
- Add a tablespoon of flour and with your fingertips, roll the pastry into a ball.
- Wrap in clingfilm, and put in the freezer for no longer than 15 mins.
- Take out of the freezer, and between 2 sheets of grease proof paper, roll out the pastry until it is 5mm thick.
- When rolled out, lift the pastry and place into a pastry/flan tin, (leave the grease proof paper so it faces down into the tin) and press it into the tin.
- Spread the Nutella on the base.
- Mix the ricotta, 2 tablesponns of sugar and egg yolk; then spread a layer on top of the Nutella
Tiny Italian Hint: Add a little coffee to the ricotta mixture. Coffee and chocolate is a great flavour tasting combination.
- Cook in the oven at 180C for 45 minutes
- Let it cool down and sprinkle cocao powder on top to serve